Friday, June 25, 2010

Planes, glaciers, and berries, oh my!

Two more days of rain and low clouds kept us from finishing surveys this week, so it is back to Admiralty Island Monday to finish up. I had my first float plane experience which was enjoyable. Of course, considering we flew out because of weather, visibility was limited, but the views were still amazing (I left the camera in my bag that got stowed in the rear, so no pics).

Cathy introduced me to salmonberries. Fantastic berries in the same family as raspberries (Rubus - for the science nerds among us), a bit larger and what I would describe as a wonderfully sweet taste, but not as sweet as a ripe raspberry.












So we made a quick and simple dessert with angel food cake, whipped cream, and salmonberries sprinkled with grated Mexican chocolate. Quite tasty!





I took a short hike to Mendenhall Glacier just outside of Juneau. A glacier is a breathtaking thing to see, even from a distance, I can only imagine what it would be like to be on one. What I really noticed is how much it has shrunk in the eight years since I saw it last.

No comments:

Post a Comment