Friday, June 8, 2012

Back in Alaska...

So, I am back in Alaska for another field season. This time we will be spending a considerable amount of time camping since the two projects I am helping on are in spots that are a bit more off the beaten path. I have been here just over a week which started with a 3-day training session on Prince of Wales Island where, with the exception of about 6 hours, it rained the entire time. The rest of the time has been in Juneau where we have been purchasing required gear, finishing up some last minute logistics, and painting 1500+ wood chips an assortment of colors (more on this a bit later in the season).



We take a float plane out of Juneau tomorrow morning to start our first set of Goshawk surveys at a lake about an hour away. We will be working out of a base camp that sounds like it will provide relatively cushy conditions--complete with a wall tent, cooking capabilities, cots, and surrounded by an electric bear fence (which we have been duly instructed to avoid).

Following the first round of Goshawk surveys, I return to Juneau for a few days to wrap up logistics then head back to Prince of Wales for two weeks of trying my best to stay somewhat dry while conducting stream surveys in a couple watersheds near Hydaburg. We have a great local crew and I am excited to learn more about the ecology of the area from those who have spent their lives immersed in it.

Just as I did last time I was here, I will update as I can. Pictures will eventually follow. Unfortunately, I will be leaving my camera behind tomorrow because of weight restriction on our flight  but I will make it a point to take some pictures with our field cameras.

No comments:

Post a Comment